Friday, August 23, 2019

Bug List - A2

1. Target, Walmart, Publix and basically every retail store here in in Gainesville are awfully packed in the start of the semester.

WHY: Everyone is moving in, people is arriving for college and there is a lot of things that people need to buy.

2. I had to do a line of almost one hour only to get my UFID.

WHY: In orientation dates, there are like 400 students and the vast majority of them need to get their UFID in the same day, also the office where you get them is really small so the process is slower.

3. All the Apple's iPhone chargers that I buy do not last more than 3 - 6 months working.

WHY: The useful life of this product is very limited in order to forcer the consumers to buy more.

4. Sea food here in America leaves much to be desired in many restaurants.

WHY: The freshness of the products is not the best (I say this because in Colombia it is amazing, however I am not trying to say that it sucks here in America, I have actually eaten in some decent places where it is actually really good).

5. You need to spend a lot of money to get a TV service with a good soccer coverage.

WHY: Americans do not watch a lot of soccer, they mostly consume football, baseball and basketball.

6. A little hook in my car's bumper broke, and no matter where I go to fix it they always tell me to buy a new bumper (that is like 800 dollars by the way).

WHY: It might not be profitable for the workshop to spend time and resources in such a little thing, while if you buy the part, more money comes in.

8. Out of state tuition is TRULY expensive.

WHY: People who comes to study to another state or in my case from another country have never contributed to the state in form of taxes, so that is why you cannot get the benefits that a resident gets.

9. In my residence (West 20) mattresses are like bricks.

WHY: They are not going to buy a lot of high quality items for every bedroom in the complex, so they go with some items of less quality that can help to reduce costs and generate more profit.

10. Every time I have moved out of a residence here in Gainesville they charge me like 500 dollars for an inexistent " damage in the carpet."

WHY: They want to get money. I really wish there was a better explanation.

11. My room's window faces the hall outside, and the light from the light bulb outside goes into my room the whole night.

WHY: They cannot turn on and off certain lightbulbs because at specific times because they are all connected in the same circuit.

12. Here in America the food in general is so expensive and not even that good, while in Colombia it is way cheaper and amazing.

WHY: Food industry here is much more developed than in Colombia, there are a lot of technological advances applied to the food that clearly makes the price higher.

13. Soccer fields here in Gainesville are always so packed that sometimes it is impossible to play.

WHY: There are not a lot of good fields, plus they are public so you don't have to spend a dollar to play.

14. There are only 2 good nightclubs with Latin Night on Gainesville (White Buffalo and The Range).

WHY: The American population is higher than the hispanic here in Gainesville, so more people likes American music than Latin American (however I think this is changing because Latin music is actually really liked among Americans nowadays).

15. It is impossible for me to complete my workout routine if I go to the gym (Gainesville Health and Fitness) between 5:30- 8:00 P.M.

It is the rush-hour, everyone is going out from school and work and it is the most convenient time to go to the gym for a lot of people.

16. Dentistry services here in America are awfully expensive, so every time I need to get something done I have to wait until I travel back to Colombia (like every 6 months).

WHY: Overhead costs for health services are much higher here in America than in Colombia.

17. It is really hard to find some good furniture (quality-price wise) at any retail store here in Gainesville in the beginning of the semester.

WHY: There is a lot of people moving in in those times of the year, and a lot of them need to get a lot of things for their apartments/dorms.

18. It is really hard to find good coffee in the United States.

WHY: United States is not one of the best coffee producers in the world, while many other countries have better soils for this product and also need to produce a lot it in order to help their economy (as Colombia does), the United States focuses in some other products or services.

19. Uber/Lyft's fares at 2:00 A.M (on weekends) are like three times the amount of the standard fare.

WHY: A lot of people are leaving the nightclubs at that time. Demand rises and so does the price of the fare.

20. McDonald's ice cream machine is always "broken" after 8 P.M (or at least thats what they say).

WHY: It might be because it is not convenient to sell ice cream at that time because it could require to spend a lot of resources, or it is just not profitable at that time of the day.


Reflection:

This exercise was actually really interesting for me because it actually becomes harder to come up with so much things that bother me, and also it helps to understand how some common problems that we normally face are more complex than we can think about. At the beginning I taught that I could do this fast and easy, however it took me a while to come up with the whole list, I even had to ask my girlfriend to help me out with the last one because I felt kind of blocked. Also the explanations of why the bug exists where more complex for some of the bugs listed, because there are some that have a background that sometimes we in our day life don't even think about.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Santiago,
    I truly enjoyed reading your list because I completely agreed with a lot since I am a student here in Gainesville that gets bugged by those same things. I especially agree with the last one because I feel like regardless of the location I am at, whether West Palm Beach or Gainesville, the ice cream machines are always coincidentally broken. I think it's really nice how you compared a lot of things from here in the United States to Colombia because you gave me like another perspective to see it from. It is on my bucket list now to try some food from Colombia and save some money. Overall, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with one of your numbers on the bug list, number five to be exact. I know how you feel about the price of the service because I like soccer too. I always want to watch as much soccer as possible but I don't have the channels to do it. I recently just added more soccer channels but they charge me an extra ten bucks which is not bad but they also added more channels that I don't even watch. If only their was a package for soccer, just soccer. I really don't know why the services here are so expensive.

    ReplyDelete