Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory trends - A6

Economic trends: Vainilla price in the U.S is rising.

Link: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/09/15/757899271/photos-vanilla-boom-is-making-people-crazy-rich-and-jittery-in-madagascar


  • I believe these could be an opportunity for retailing the Vainilla bean or any other processed product that uses it as raw material.
  • Typical customers could be organizations that need Vainilla in their products or ultimate consumers of Vainilla derived products.
  • This opportunity could be possible if you are willing to import Vainilla from Madagascar or other country and if you want to invest money on processing Vainilla.
  • I think I saw this opportunity because I have always thought about importing coffee to the United States because of the lack of good coffee, so the Vainilla business relates somehow to this.
  • I think it is relatively difficult to exploit because of the import proccess and how expensive it could be to bring Vainilla beans to America.
Economic trends: Cars cost rising.


  • I believe this could be an opportunity for anyone who wants to sell their car because they can get the most benefit possible, or want to start a car dealership.
  • Typical customers are literally everywhere, people is always looking to buy a car.
  • This opportunity will be possible if you are willing to sell your car or if you can offer good deals to others for selling theirs.
  • I saw this opportunity because my roommate wants to buy a car and we saw that right now prices are rising.
  • I think that this opportunity is relatively difficult because of the amount of competitors in the market (for the car dealership), but for only selling your own car it seems pretty easy.
Regulatory changes: EPA Revokes water protection regulations.


  • I believe this is an opportunity for farmers to use certain fertilizers for their crops that they couldn't use before because of the regulation.
  • Typical customers will be the farmers who will buy the fertilizers.
  • This opportunity will be possible if farmers are willing to damage water systems and the environment in order to get more production of crops.
  • I saw this opportunity thinking about the ethical dilemma of acting for your own benefit or for the benefit of the society.
  • This opportunity is relatively easy to accomplish because of the absence of the regulation that allows to use products in crops, it would only be matter to buy the fertilizers.
Regulatory changes: Trump Administration to impose a ban over e-cigarettes.


  • The opportunity here will be for other cigarette companies that are loosing customers due to the trend of e-cigarettes.
  • Typical customers will be cigarette consumers, and e-cigarettes consumers that could go back to smoking cigarettes.
  • This opportunity will be possible if Trump imposes the ban. Some cigarette manufacturers will do really good with less competitors in the market.
  • The achievement of the opportunity here depends on the regulation. If Trump imposes a ban it could be pretty easy for some cigarette manufactures to come back to compete.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean when it comes to buying a new or even used car. The dealerships nowadays charge way to much. I know because I am looking into buying a car soon and I've been looking everywhere for a cheap one and it is hard. Some them are to far and others just lie about the price. I think it is difficult as well since their is many cars out there that are the same and cheaper so it is hard for dealerships to try to sell since that is what customers demand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Santiago,
    I did not really consider how the ban on e-cigarettes can lead for some other manufactures to see this as a positive ban, I just saw it as the possibility of a whole industry possibly going out of business. I recently bought a car, and as my dad and I were searching for some he kept saying that these car prices were expensive. It took my dad and I a while of searching to find a nice car for a good price so I can definitely see how someone can get a nice amount of money if they sell their car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Santiago,
    I never really have thought of Farmers or opportunities that could come from them. This post really opened up my eyes to some new views of the world, I feel like I am way more conscious of economic and regulatory opportunities that exist now.

    ReplyDelete