1) Belief: I have the belief that providing a service to complete small tasks that can take some time for you (like a delivery service works, but not only for delivering food) could help a lot of people here in Gainesville who have really crowded schedules.
2) Description: I consider that this need comes from the crowded schedules that sometimes students and adults here in Gainesville for example can have, juggling work, school and even time for self-care in things like going to the gym takes a lot of time of the day. The need exactly is having no time to do simple important stuff like buying groceries, picking up documents, repair your computer or phone, and many other simple but important things that sometimes we just don't really destine time.
3) Questions: Basically when I talked to people about this need, I asked questions about how much time they dedicate to simple things (as the ones I mentioned above), if they studied, worked, or both, if they had other responsibilities besides school, how much time they dedicated to study, if they considered they have a lot of free time, how many times per week they used to go to the gym and exercise or practice any kind of sport, how much they value time and how much they organized their time, if they would like if someone could do some of the small tasks for them and off-course if they where willing to pay for a service like this.
My overall results where quite interesting. I talked to some undergraduate students and the most of them told me that they work and study at the same time, and at the end of the they they ended up not really having a lot of free time for themselves. I can say that a lot of people told me that they are not really organized with their time and that they basically just do what they have to, go to their lectures at x time and go to their shift at x time, x times per week. Also a big part of them told me that they study quite every day but much less on weekends. When I asked about the alternative that I proposed, almost everyone told me that it seems like a nice idea. However , some wondered about the price, and how depending on that factor, it would be beneficial for them to pay for something that at the end of the day they must do and also do often.
People starts having the need of saving time when they gain certain grade of independency, like when students move for college and live alone, being responsible of their own needs and tasks. As it is popularly said, "time is gold" and through our whole lives we need to certainly manage it and use it correctly in order to succeed on whatever we want. Also I notice that for some people there are simple tasks that are really simple to accomplish because they might live close to a grocery store, there are some efficient food delivery services, and sometimes people just do not want to spent the money because they believe it is lazy to not do these simple things.
4) Reflect & Summarize: When talking to people about time management I realize that here in America the vast majority of people has really busy schedules, and that trying to succeed in life is truly connected with the way we manage time. After this exercise I feel that I value more some hours that I waste some times watching TV or procrastinating, because there is some people out there of my age that some days do not even have time for themselves. Now I believe that my opportunity is actually pretty realistic while at the beginning it thought it was kind of crazy to think that people would pay for such simple stuff, but guess what, a lot of them value time so much that they would pay for actually having some more time in their day. However, for this opportunity to be real it will require a lot of people working to do the tasks, and also a price that could make the business profitable and at the same time be acceptable for customers.
I believe it is good for entrepreneurs to look into potential customers before putting any money or taking action, because this would give you feedback that would help you to understand what your project needs and what is society expecting. I think that by understanding customers needs and expectation it is easier to design a product because you already have an idea of what people prefer and what they just would not even think about buying.
I agree with your view on being a good entrepreneur, it is very important to take customer mood into your perspective to become a good owner for a business. Also, I agree that small tasks are a hindrance to people's schedules, it would be very convenient to have an app to have someone come do that for you. I personally hate having to do stuff like take out the trash and empty the sink, and would enjoy an app for partial use for doing those types of activities.
ReplyDelete