Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1 - A12

1) Pick a segment: For this exercise, the segment that I picked was College Students, who are 21 or older, and who usually go out to social events and consume alcohol regularly.

2) Find three people who can fit that segment: My three interviewees who satisfied all the requirements pertinent to the segment where Michaela, Kyle and Ryan.

3) Information: The need that I am working with is the same of the last posts, and it is the lack of alternatives at the moment of consuming alcohol at social events. After I identified that my three subjects where in my segment, I started asking what do they usually drink and why, the overall response was the same things of always, beer, vodka, rum and variations of this. I asked why they usually consume this, all of them told me that beer is always the drink to go with, but that they usually drink the other drinks because they are available everywhere they go, they are drinks that are easy to access and are not really expensive. I asked if they would like to drink something else instead of what they usually drink, Kyle told me that he was happy with what he consumes and that he did not really give a lot of thought to that, and Michael and Ryan told me that sometimes they wish there was something else. I asked also about what are some new drinks that they have tried recently, they all talked to me either of White Claw or of Truly, and they told me they were fine. Michaela told me that she loves the bottled Sangria because "it is actually really good". I talked to them about my idea of the bagged iced-cocktails and asked if they would give it a try. They all said that they would not mind trying it. I asked were would they consumed and they all said that it looked good especially for the tailgates because of the weather. I asked if they would drink it in another environment or other times of the year, they said that in house parties or clubs could be a good option. However, Michaela told me that it did not seem really practical for a club.

4) Conclusions: From this exercise, I learned that my need actually has a lot of space among the segment targeted. I can observe that in the hot season of the year the product will actually make a great impact, however in other scenarios it is not as strong. Also I learned that the bottled Sangria is really liked among College girls (because that is what Michaela told me) and that the White Claw and Truly are actually more famous than I thought. A lot of people drink vodka, beer and rum because it is cheaper than other things, more than for its taste. College students do not have a lot of economic power and a cheap product with new characteristics could actually make a huge impact among this segment.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Santiago,
    I believe you are doing a good job and will be a success story if you continue in researching your audience and trying to keep improving it for them. It is a known fact that a lot of college students drink so to start something new that sounds good and like many of them will like I think is a right move, especially because the young adult generation in college will eventually fall into trends and whatever is currently the new, hot thing, or in this case, drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post, it showed me that you really want to be an entrepreneur and you have what it takes to finish this class with a good grade. But, also that you can really go somewhere in life if you keep up the grind. Don't knock the hustle.

    ReplyDelete