As an international student, it is really difficult to get hired by a company in the United States, basically because the great majority (almost all of them) do not give sponsorships because of the political situation right now. This semester I faced failure during Heavener Career Week, where I talked to a lot of companies, day by day, and basically got rejected by every single one. It is really sad to go and want to give your best and only hear "sorry, we do not give sponsorships" and not even get one email. Failure made me feel really frustrated and also made me reconsider my career and give up my aspirations. However, I have never been the person who easily gives up, and I believe that even though failing made me feel certainly bad, it also motivated me to keep trying and look for other alternatives. After that I got some advise and started looking for some opportunities that fit me better and a lot of people do not pursue, also I started doing some research and reading more about career readiness in order to have a better resume and try to get a job on specific companies that suit my interests and might hire me.
Failure is something that shows you that you are actually working for what you want, and making mistakes and getting down is actually part of our journey. Sometimes failure shows us opportunities and makes us look through some windows we did not consider. This can actually help us to be better and achieve our goals, or even maybe better goals. All of us have failed in something, and we are going to keep failing through our whole lives, we just have to get up, learn from our mistakes and do better. From this class I have learned that failure is something really common, not only in business but in life. A lot of entrepreneurs where rejected and failed several times, they would not have accomplished what they did if they just gave up. There is strength and motivation in failing, we just have to be patient, try harder each time and use that favor learn more.
Hey Santiago,
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear about how Heavener Career Week has gone for you! My big is going through the same struggle, but for her it’s a little more intense as she graduates in the spring and will need a job in order to stay in the United States. But I truly believe that what is meant for you will happen so just keep working hard and have trust, it will all work out in the end!